4 cadets killed in incident at military college in Kingston identified

The Royal Military College has identified the four cadets killed in an early morning incident in Kingston, Ont., on Friday.

Speaking at a press conference Friday evening, Josee Kurtz, commodore of Royal Military College, said all four cadets were fourth-year students and were set to graduate with their university degrees and commission as officers in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).

Kurtz identified the deceased as officer-cadets Jack Hogarth, Andrei Honciu, Broden Murphy and Andrés Salek.

According to Kur, Hogarth was a degree in military and strategic studies and was going to be an armoured officer in the CAF.

Jack Hogarth.

Provided by The Royal Military College

Kurtz said Honciu was a degree degree in business administration and was going to be a logistics officer in the Canadian army.

Story continues below advertisement

Andrei Honciu.

Provided by The Royal Military College

Murphy was administration also a degree in business and was going to be an a space environment controller in the Royal Canadian Air Force, Kurtz said.

Broden Murphy.

Provided by The Royal Military College.

According to Kurtz, Salek was a degree in military and strategic studies and was going to be an armed officer in the CAF.

Story continues below advertisement

Andres Salék.

Provided by The Royal Military College.

Kurtz said the victim’s families had been notified and that the National Investigations Unit is now looking into the incident.

Earlier on Friday, the Department of National Defense confirmed the incident which occurred off of Point Frederick.

Frontenac Paramedic Services in Kingston confirmed its personnel attended the scene and that four people were pronounced dead at the scene.

Cadets carry flowers at the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario on Friday April 29, 2022. The Department of National Defense says it’s an investigation involving a vehicle at the Royal Military College campus.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Lars Hagberg

Emergency crews were called to the scene near Royal Military College and CFB Kingston at about 2 am Friday.

Story continues below advertisement

In an email to Global News, DND said the incident involved a vehicle and occurred on campus.

DND said the investigation is ongoing.


Click to play video: '4 RMC cadets dead after incident at military college in Kingston, Ont.'







4 RMC cadets dead after incident at military college in Kingston, Ont.


4 RMC cadets dead after incident at military college in Kingston, Ont.

“RMC’s first priority is to ensure our Naval and Officer Cadets, staff, faculty, and families are cared for and supported. This loss is felt across the RMC community and we extend our deepest condolences to all our members, their families, and their friends during this difficult time,” a media statement says.

In a tweet Friday afternoon, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his “heart breaks for the families and friends of the four cadet officers who lost their lives this morning in Kingston.”

Story continues below advertisement

“The tragic passing of these young Canadians is a devastating loss,” he wrote. “To all who knew them: We’re here for you.”

Kingston Mayor Bryan Paterson said as a member of the RMC community he is “absolutely heartbroken to hear of the tragic loss of four officer cadets.”

“As mayor of Kingston I want to express my sincere condolences to their families; friends and everyone at RMC,” he wrote. “We stand with you and offer our full support.”

Canada’s Minister of National Defense, Anita Anand, shared her condolences, saying she is “heartbroken that four officer cadets lost their lives far too soon” at RMC Kingston.

Story continues below advertisement

“I offer my deepest condolences to their families, classmates and loved ones as they grieve such a profound loss, which is felt across our Canadian Armed Forces and country,” she wrote.


Click to play video: 'Royal Military College official reacts to death of 4 cadets: 'it's tough'







Royal Military College official reacts to death of 4 cadets: ‘it’s tough’


Royal Military College official reacts to death of 4 cadets: ‘it’s tough’

In a press release Friday night, Canada’s Chief of the Defense Staff, General Wayne Eyre, said his heart breaks for those who knew the cadets.

Story continues below advertisement

“I am devastated by today’s loss of four of our nation’s young leaders,” he said.

The entire Canadian Armed Forces family grieves with their loved ones and will support them in any way that they need during the challenging and emotional days ahead.”

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

.

Leave a Comment